Sleep is an important element of good health. Surprisingly, one of every four people suffers from a sleep disorder. They are among the most underdiagnosed and undertreated medical conditions.
When a sleep disorder is not diagnosed and treated, it can lead to serious, even life-threatening, cardiac and neurological problems. These facts and many more motivated Newberry County Memorial Hospital to offer a Sleep Disorder Laboratory under the direction of a Board Certified Sleep Physician for the diagnosis of sleep disorders.
Sleep Disorder Self-Test
lf you think you might have a sleep disorder, take this short self-test:
- Have you been told by a friend or family member that you snore? (Yes/No)
- Do you often feel tired or have a headache when you awaken in the morning? (Yes/No)
- Do you frequently awaken during the night? (Yes/No)
- Have you been told you have pauses in your breathing during sleep? (Yes/No)
- Do your legs jerk frequently or feel uncomfortable/restless before or during sleep? (Yes/No)
- Do you often find yourself falling asleep when you don't intend to, such as while viewing television or while driving? (Yes/No)
SCORE: If you answered "yes" to two or more of the above questions, you might benefit from a sleep consultation. Please keep in mind the above test is only an indicator, not a diagnosis, which only a physician can give.
For more information about this service, please contact us at 803.740.7451