Commitment to purpose. Community pride. Self-reliance.
The history of the hospitals in Newberry County is a testimony to these enduring qualities.
From its earliest days, the county was blessed with many dedicated doctors, but a community hospital was only a dream until 1925.
Acting in a strong tradition of self-reliance, the citizens of Newberry County decided to work together to make that dream a reality. A community meeting was held on December 11, 1923, and the Newberry County Hospital Association was formed to direct the funding and building of this much-needed facility.
Local citizens bought stock to finance the hospital. School children collected pennies and nickels. The people even gave a "linen shower" for their hospital.
Thus it was a moment of great community pride when Newberry County Hospital formally opened its doors on December 22, 1925.
In 1937, the African-American community demonstrated these same qualities of community pride, self-reliance, and commitment to purpose in establishing the second hospital. The People's Hospital, as it was called, was under the direction of J.E. Grant, Sr., M.D. The African-American community organized service clubs throughout the county to supplement the hospital financially. A vegetable garden and poultry operation also offered additional support. In January 1952, the People's Hospital merged with Newberry County Memorial Hospital.
The current hospital on Kinard Street was dedicated May 9, 1976. On December 14, 1999, the hospital held a groundbreaking ceremony for a $13.425 million renovation and expansion project. Completed in 2002, the project completely changed the first floor, making it a patient-friendly outpatient services mall. A Rededication Ceremony was held September 5, 2002.
The hospital has not slowed down since then. A satellite office was opened in Little Mountain in 2003. The birthing unit, New Beginnings, was expanded and completely renovated in 2004.
In 2006, another major renovation and expansion began. The project was supported by the Penny Sales Infrastructure Tax approved by Newberry County citizens. The hospital added a new and much larger laboratory area, surgical dressing rooms, pediatric rooms, an obstetrical operating room in New Beginnings, an expanded chemotherapy area, and other minor renovations. These expansions and improvements were completed and celebrated on June 26, 2007.
That same year, Newberry Hospital and Atrium Development Corporation began a medical office building project in the front of the hospital. Completed in 2008, the Atrium Center includes a new and expanded Wellness and Rehabilitation Center, a 1.5 Tesla MRI, and five physicians' offices.
Another significant advancement in local healthcare during this time was the advent of local oncology care. We are home to an advanced Oncology and Infusion Center that provides outpatient chemotherapy and infusion treatments at Newberry County Memorial Hospital. This is a major convenience for cancer patients and their loved ones.
To complete the availability of local oncology care, Newberry Oncology Associates opened in 2008. The hospital is a partner in this service. Under the direction of Dr. Mark Ezekiel, this modern center offers advanced radiation therapy for local oncology patients. Again, this center enables local cancer patients to get sophisticated care close to home.
Through expansions, mergers and hard times, our community has demonstrated its strong support for exceptional healthcare over the years. With the hospital "linen shower," the investment of school children's pennies, taxpayers' dollars, and the vegetable gardens, the people of Newberry County have been personally involved in providing exceptional healthcare to their neighbors, families, and newcomers.
"Exceptional services with a personal touch...close to home" is more than just a slogan at Newberry County Memorial Hospital. It's a way of life.
- 1925: December 22nd, Newberry County Hospital on Hunt Street dedicated. Capacity: 25 beds.
- 1937: People's Hospital founded by J. E. Grant, Sr., M.D. Capacity: 25 beds.
- 1950: May 30th, hospital renamed Newberry County Memorial Hospital in honor of the men and women who served in World War II.
- 1952: In January, People's Hospital merged with Newberry County Memorial Hospital.
- 1963: North wing added. Capacity: 72 beds.
- 1976: May 9th, Kinard Street building dedicated. Capacity: 102 licensed beds.
- 1999: December 13th, the ground-breaking ceremony for $13.4 million renovations and construction project.
- 2002: September 5th, Rededication Celebration.
- 2003: May 1st, third-floor renovations completed. July 7th, J.Kess Derrick Community Health Clinic opened in Little Mountain.
- 2004: August 19th, New Beginnings birth center project completed. The community celebrates!
- 2007: June 26th, second Penny Sales Tax Initiative completed.
- 2008: In March, with the opening of Newberry Oncology Associates, full oncology services are available locally. July 31st, the open house held for Newberry Atrium Professional Center and dedication of Jake and Mildred Fulmer Surgery Center.
- 2009: In the Spring, the Newberry County Memorial Hospital Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine Center opens, offering advanced treatment for slow-to-heal wounds.
- 2010: In the winter, advanced digital mammography is added to a growing list of women’s services.
- 2012-2019: Numerous awards received:
- Joint Replacement Excellence Award™,2013-2019
- Five-star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement, 2012-2019
- Five-star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement, 2019
- Five-star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment, 2015-2019
- Top 10% in the Nation for Joint Replacement for five years, 2013-2019